Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Healthy Bran Muffins

Bran Muffins

My friend was making these tasty muffins when I was at her house, so I copied the recipe and now my husband makes me make them a few times a week!

Ingredients and Directions
  • 2 cups water
  • 5 tsp baking soda
Mix together and bring to a boil, let cool, just warm
  • 1 cup melted shortening (I substitute 1 cup of applesauce or half and half)
  • 2 cups sugar (I only put in 1 cup)
  • 4 eggs (I sometimes use the egg substitute)
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 quart buttermilk
  • 1 box All Bran cereal, the bran nuggets not flakes
Mix all of these ingredients and then add the soda water, refrigerate overnight to let the bran nuggets soften.  Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

This makes a lot of batter, so I make a few muffins every morning so we get fresh warm muffins.  Keep mix in the fridge, the batter lasts up to 6 weeks.  If you use all applesauce and no shortening I figured the recipe will make 42 muffins, each being 125 calories! Yum and low calorie.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't you the good wife! No raisins? No chocolate chips? No apple chunks and nuts? Ah, OK--that would be pushing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,

    Try my recipe...

    http://nachista.blogspot.com/2011/02/healthy-bran-muffin-recipe.html

    I've made them with buttermilk and without and honestly they taste just as good with skim as they do with buttermilk, but you save your selve a ton of fat and calories from fat. Using the banana and apple mash for sweetening saves on the calories from sugar and I think tastes better than flavoring with straight white sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you make my recipe as is it is about 130 calories and just under 2 grams of fat with 3 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein per muffin.

    If you want to go even healthier you can cut the honey to 1/4 cup, applesauce to 1/2, and oil to 1 TBSP. That would put you at 86 calories per muffin.

    ReplyDelete